Khashlama is of the favorite dishes of the Armenian cuisine. It is prepared in different ways having lamb as a main ingredient. We suggest summer Khashlama with vegetables.
- 2 lbs. lean lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- ½ large yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ large red pepper, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley (stems removed; leaves left whole)
- ½ cup crushed tomato
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups lamb broth (water, beef or chicken broth may be substituted)
- 1 tsp. marjoram, or to taste
- Salt, black pepper and paprika, as needed
- Onions and garlic may be added to the recipe.
- Place lamb cubes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Remove scum as it rises to the surface. Cook, uncovered, until meat starts to become tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove meat from pot with a slotted spoon; place in a casserole dish. Season meat with marjoram, salt, pepper, and paprika. Toss to coat.
- Strain lamb broth and pour into a liquid measuring cup. Add water, if necessary, to make 2 cups.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers and parsley to the meat in the casserole dish. Gently toss.
- Mix the tomato puree, tomato paste and lamb broth. Pour liquid over the meat and vegetables, gently mixing together.
- Bake, covered with aluminum foil, in a moderate, preheated (350°F) oven for 1 hour. Remove the foil and continue baking for additional 30 minutes, or until meat is very tender.
- Serve in a bowl with bread (for dipping) or over bulgur pilaf.
P.S add love while cooking, and smile while serving))